Thursday, December 16, 2004

Four outs should be enough for everybody

Ok, now I'm not really the vindictive type, although I might silently hold a grudge against someone, which, of course, I might not so silently ventilate when drunk, but tonight's poker felt sooo good.

I played a hand yesterday where I flopped the Q-high flush (the board was K92), and I bet the pot on the flop and on the turn, trying to protect my flush from the A high. I got a single caller, and on the river the second 9 came. He pushed for about $20 (the pot was probably around $30 or so by now), and I called. He had K9, and had chased his 4 outer despite my best efforts.

I don't normally bitch at people, but someone had the audacity to utter those two letters I absolutely despise in a situation like that, and that really can piss me off, "wp". What the fuck? Are you insane? Well played? Well played calling pot sized bets when your a 80-90% underdog? My ass..

Anyway, I had my revenge today. I limped with JJ, the flop came J22, and I slowplayed, min betting, hoping someone would catch up. A third club came on the river, and I could hardly contain my excitement when the guy who busted me yesterday check-raised me. Yes, he hit his flush, and it cost him about $45 of his $55 stack. My hands were shaking when I clicked the button to call his all-in, and I saw him flash A8s. Yeah, baby, yeah! Suck it down :)

I hate facing a huge raise on the river, and almost always feel obliged to call; it just might be a bluff. I suppose this is one of those things that taking notes and studying players would help me with, and as a general rule of thumb, it feels like less than 10% of the river raises are bluffs at these low limits.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions about me being humble ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home