Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Hoptemistic

Those of you that have been carefully following my imood, have without a doubt noticed that it's changed from "weird" to "optimistic". Why? you might ask. Well I'll tell you.

Last year, around June, just after the Xbox release, I began to realize that there wasn't really any more planned work for me, and that the company's future as a whole was uncertain, at best. So I started contacting the few games companies in Göteborg. The companies either packed their bags and left town (you bastards, Dice), went bankrupt (This Side Up/UDS), or just plain said they didn't have enough bling bling to hire a superstar like me (yes, this is how I treat a no).

A few months later, I got in contact with the cheif technology guy at Massive (Martin), who was planning on moving to Göteborg, and starting up a small games company. He didn't want to hire anyone until he had funding for 2+ years, with a staff of 4-6 people, and this is where I'm at today.

Aaanyway, last week, the girl in accounting left a note on my desk. I naturally thought that I was getting fired, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that she had xeroxed an article from the latest issue of a Swedish games magazine, that said that one of the companies I had spoken to before had gotten a new, big deal.

I quickly searched through my mail, and found our correspondence neatly stashed away in a folder called "private/next job". Ok, I'll admit it, subtlety isn't my strongest suit.

This morning, I got a reply from the guy saying that he was flying from Australia to Tokyo tomorrow, and he'd be back next week, and he wondered if I could mail again then. I quelled the urge to tell him that I was actually on the toilet with my laptop, and instead started getting my hopes up. I then realized that I was an hour late for work, and that the batteries were getting low.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home