Thursday, March 10, 2005

Where have all the tag teams gone?

This is somethings that's been bugging me for quite some time. Where have all the dedicated tag teams (mainly in the WWE) gone?

When I was a wee lad, and thought that wrestling was the coolest thing on earth (well, I still do, actually), many of my heroes were tag teams.

I mean, greats like Demolition (here comes the Axe, here come the Smasher, they're Demolition, walking disaster, tra la la), The Hart Foundation, The Road Warriors (I think the time they stabbed Dusty Rhodes with one of their spikes was the first time I'd ever seen blood in wrestling). They got me all tingly inside.

Today tag teams are mainly ad hoc, "hey, guy A doesn't like guy B, and guy C doesn't like guy D, so let's put together a tag team match with A+B vs C+D", and it gets pretty boring. There's no real gimmick, no cool two man finishing moves (seriously, how cool isn't the Doomsday Device?), and it gets trite pretty quick. Even if I watch both Smackdown and Raw every week, I can honestly say that I don't know (and don't really care) who the current tag team champions are. And this is a pretty sad state of affairs.

TNA is alot better in this regard, and has some pretty cool tag teams. TNA is probably just plain better wrestling all round, but I think it suffers a lot from not having the brand names and recognition that the WWE has. Sure, I'm pretty tired of seeing Ric Flair lose, seeing Shawn Michaels bleed, and I'm bored to hell with basically all of JBL's matches, but guys like Randy Orton, Batista and John Cena still do it for me, somehow.

More on this subject later, as I apparently have an Xbox version to build now..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home