Sunday, April 17, 2005

Operation: Rang Rang was a success!

Something that fascinated me almost from the start of Warcraft, was the existence of gold farmers. These are people that kill the same easy, high level, monsters over and over again, 24/7, pool all the gold they collect, and allow other players to buy in-game gold with real dollars. Blizzard have a zero tolerance policy on this, but still sites like www.ige.com exist and flourish.

Now, the funny thing is, the whole gold farming business is really no secret, and after just browsing the boards, you have the gold farmer phantom image, namely an unguilded lvl 60 rogue, with crappy equipment (just stuff they find by farming), killing level 51-53 Legashi demons in Azshara.

A quick note on "rang rang". From what I've gathered, rang rang, means both "sod off" and "whitey", and according to a Fires of Heaven regular, if you whisper this to a suspected gold farmer, his head will actually explode. Now, back to your regular scheduled program.

Yesterday, I hit level 48, and knew that if I just took it easy, I should be able to visit Azshara, and see farmers in action. At the same time, I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to see any farmers, I mean, seldom is that plain public knowledge actually true.

Anyway, we (Malin and I. She always gets dragged into my silly plans) had just killed our first or second demon, and I was busy goofing off, typing "GIVE PHAT LEWTS, PLZZZZZ!!!!!111ONEEONEONE", and stuff like that, when an unguilded level 60 rogue appeared.

What the hell? I inspected her gear, and it pretty much sucked. This couldn't be true, could it?

Suddenly a trade window appeared, and the rogue wanted to trade a blue wand she'd found. And then the whisper came; "50g". I just couldn't believe it. This person was doing everything a farmer was supposed to do (according to urban legend and stereotypes), and I just couldn't stop laughing.

I replied that I wasn't really interested in the wand, thank you very much, and Malin pretty much won by whispering "rang rang rang" to our newfound friend.

Find gold farmers in WoW: check.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, busted. Time to find a new source of income...

/benz

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home