Friday, January 28, 2005

Breaking the habit?

I think I might actually have done it! The addiction that World of Warcraft has over me might actually be starting to break!

It is, of course, too early to tell, because I might start playing instances and all that jazz soon, and then I'll be stuck again, but right now I don't feel the urge to sit down and play for another 8 hours or so.

I did it in the way I usually break my gaming habits, by beating the game.

My goal was to have an ever increasing source of income, so I would be able to buy all the spells and recipes I needed, along with all the hottest armour and weapons from the auction house.

I've marked hotspots on my map, and I think I can make a pretty safe round (max lvl 24 mobs, I'm 26 at the moment) in under an hour, that should be able to generate 4-5g. To put this in some kind of perspective, the coolest thing people want to buy is a mount at level 40, which costs somewhere around 90g (inluding training etc), and I don't see this being a problem at all.

I felt the grip starting to slip even more when I hit 24, and I got improved fire balls and pyroblasts. This equates to me being able to take out a single mob in around 10 seconds, which is about the time it takes for them to realize someone is blasting them, start charging me, and perhaps make it as far as being able to hit me with a single blow. I can take out three of these guys before having to sit and refill my mana, so I was able to do some pretty brutal power leveling in Duskwood last night. 25 to 26 in around two hours. Pretty sweet.

On a closing note, I'm surprised at some of the bugs still present in the beta. Especially since it's already hit retail in the states. I ran into a pretty groovy one yesterday, when I was bidding on an item at the auction house (the recipe I was thinking about farming a week ago or so). The opening bid was 20s, I bet 40s, someone else bid 42, I raised to 60s, and went to bed. I woke up around 6 am, and logged in to check the status (I really wanted that recipe). The item was gone, with no information on who had won the bidding or anything. I went back to sleep, and logged in a couple of hours later. Still nothing. So I messed a GM, and I'm still waiting for a reply.

Addendum
Yeah, it's a bit pretentious saying that I've beat the game at level 26, and I also realize that I'm really just playing this as a single player game. So sue me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home