Thursday, January 13, 2005

Trying to avoid studying

So, I've still got my exam on Saturday, and I have three more quizes that have to be done by then. I've done one today already, and will be ready for the second one in about an hour.

I'm then faced with a great dilemma. Do I rush, and try to finish the last two quizes today, so I'll be free to do whatever I want the rest of today and tomorrow, or do I award myself right away, play WoW the rest of the day, and do the last two quizes tomorrow?

Check this out, I'm going to use economic theory to solve the problem!

I assume that playing WoW actually has a diminishing marginal return, ie negative marginal utility. Hey, it's not that hard to actually sound like an economist :)

What I'm saying is that the enjoyment I get out of playing for another hour actually decreases over time, and that if I finish all my quizes today, and go on a marathon WoW-session, I might actually hit a zero return on investment, and stop playing. This, of course, would be a disaster.

If I instead start playing today, and do the final two quizes tomorrow, and then start playing at the same high marginal utility, my total utility is going to be higher.

Does this actually prove that slacking off, and pushing things ahead of you until they are inevitable, is indeed the right way to go? I think the answer is a resounding yes. See you in Darkshore!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home