Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The wakeup call

I was sitting in my office, minding my own business (actually reading WoW-forums), when the boss comes in. Right away, I could feel that this wasn't going to be good.

He begins in his round about way, saying random this like "yeah, it's a shame that we haven't got any more Gizmondos here" and stuff like that. This is quite funny, actually. We are now owned by Gizmondo, and are supposed to be developing games for the machine. At last count, I think we had two whole units, for 10 programmers and 5-6 artists.

He asks what I'm up to, and a pseudo lie, saying I'm working on some of my own projects, trying to keep my self a jour. After three years here, I know that if I just say something that sounds halfway plausible, I'm usually off the hook. He seems to buy it. Good.

He then says that our sound guy is on his way to Texas, to help out at the Gizmondo studio over there. I do not like the sudden turn the conversation has taken. I try to sound enthusiastic, and say that it sounds cool and things like that, hoping he'll leave soon.

Then the disguised question comes "I hear they need more programmers over there, but they can't hire anyone else". Shit. I start rambling about how the sound guy is probably a better choice, with his low level expertiece, stuff like that, and the boss tells me that he's going anyway.

He asks me if I'd like to see what it's like over in Houston, and that he's going to get some more information on what positions they need filling. I say I'll think about it, and he leaves.

And that's were I'm at right now. I don't know what to do at all.

My plan the whole time has been to wait for a friend (Martin) who's moved to Göteborg to raise enough money to be able to start a small games company (around 5-6 people), and when he's ready, I'll quit my job here, and move. The company's sudden desire to relocate me to a different continent messes up my plans quite a bit.

I just msged Martin and asked if he thought that it would be possible to raise the money he needed in 3 months, and said that I was planning on a premature resignation. I really hate putting pressure on people that way; especially people who border on the philanthropic. But right now, it's all about me trying to save my own ass.

Updates are sure to follow..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home