Wednesday, December 29, 2004

A quickie on Doyle

After reading some more Super System, I realize that a few players seem to have adopted the style of play that Brunson promotes. Well, thankfully not the whole package, but just some of the moves. Which is good, I suppose, because my 2-bit analysis is that you need the whole aggressive system to be able to afford the gambles.

It involves picking up loose pots by constantly betting, betting draws heavily (even reraising/pushing on draws), and also pushing with overcards. Some of the beatings I've received that I call bad beats, seem to be taken out of Brunson's playbook.

I guess you could call his style amortized odds, where he constantly picks up small pots to be able to use that money to gamble when he's a dog.

I was out shopping when it struck me that this looks like the strategy that high stakes NL players like Dared use. And that it must be a real pain to play against. It's sort of like what the villian says in the movie where Clint Eastwood plays the president's bodyguard, "it's easy to kill the president if you're willing to risk your own life". I wonder if Echelon is picking this up, by the way..

It's pretty cool that the plays Doyle wrote about in 1978, and was probably using since the early fifties were recently published in an article in the first 2+2 Internet magazine. No offence to David Sillers, or anything..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home